Monday, July 18, 2011

Needy

Out among the needy
The lowly
The hungry and the sad

Out with some small gift
And a prayer
Under the rule
Of the Upside Down Kingdom

What reason do I have
To feel proud?
For what possible reason
Could I be patted on the back?
Why the Hell should I be smug?
Seriously
Which lie from the Pit do you want to throw at me?

I wouldn't be here
If He hadn't called me
Sometimes I dread going
It's not in my heart to go
It all comes
From the renewing
The rebirthing
The cleansing and sanctifying
That I cannot do myself

But most importantly
I am the one who benefits
Whatever is done
For the lowest of my brothers
Is done for Messiah
And is it not a privilege
Beyond imagining
To serve Him?

I come to serve
But I am served
I come to help
And I am helped
Out in the streets
Messiah takes me from the world
He cuts away the sign of Moloch

I am out
In a congregation of the needy
Needy
Beyond all understanding

If I am to be the helper
If I am the giver
The provider
The one who tends their wounds
Then we are doomed

I do not meet needs
I myself am full of needs
But the One who does
Who gives the water of life
Who baptises in the spirit
Who dispenses with delight
He who is needed
Is out among us

Please
My fellow sufferer
Honored image bearer
By the Lord's grace
Would you please bless me?

No comments:

Post a Comment