Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Journey of Awe

A journey of discomfort
A journey of obedience
Every Wednesday
Or at least
Every Wednesday
That something doesn't come up

It's been done
Three times now
Once with no responses
Once with a handful of compliments
And once with a word of encouragement
And a word of bitter scoffing

A sign
With "God is desperately in love with you"
Scribbled over it
A couple bottles of water
Three or four songs
Sometimes mumbled
And occasionally shouted
And a whole lot of prayer
This is what I take

There's been equipping
Of the mind
Of the tongue
Of the heart
But the only test so far
Beyond the simple act of going out
Suggests that there is still
Much skill to learn

I look like a freak
I know it well
So why am I out there?
It's all so strange

I'm not out there because I like it
I put up a good bit of grumblings at times
But I also sing
And sometimes
I really mean it
Sometimes
I stop to pray
Shaking back and forth
With unearthly joy

It's otherworldly
It's from the Upside Down Kingdom
It's the pain
And lowly servitude
Which is sought after delightfully

And it's also quite natural
It makes perfect sense
To take to the streets
To share such a message
With everyone you can
Because it is the current world
That is obscene
And unnatural

It's a strange
Uncomfortable
Otherworldly
Holy
Journey
With a message of grace
And driven by awe

No comments:

Post a Comment