Sunday, June 12, 2011

For Brother Jesse and Richard*

I love tattooed Christians
With criminal records
And old addictions that almost destroyed them

I love my brothers and sisters
Who spent cold nights in prison
Who wore their sins on their sleeves
Who lived in open rebellion
Who learned firsthand
That we can do nothing apart from Christ
That we can do everything through Him
And that He will do just about anything in His reckless pursuit of us

I love testimonies
That make skeptics and "moderates"
Look down at their feet and blush
With embarrasment at their so-called "reason"
I love testimonies that fill the room with awe
And rouse tears

I love people
With big smiles
And open hearts
And faith to move mountains
Whom some cross the street to avoid

I love these people
And so did Christ
He went out in search of them
While they were still in their sin
And not just because they needed Him
But because He liked them

No comments:

Post a Comment