Sunday, June 12, 2011

Friday Night Collision*

There's something coming
I can hear it
But only barely
As we decide on rooms
And debate sleeping arrangements

It's getting louder now
So strange
And yet so familiar
So weird
And yet so natural

I can hear it when we pray now
Clear and distinct
But I still can't understand it
It can be so loud sometimes
It urges me
It pushes me into discomfort
Into my inheritance

The whole earth is shaking with that noise
How can so few seem to notice?
There are cracks forming
Debris falling
And something in the world
Something inside me
Is resisting with all its might

It's losing
The thing in the flesh and the world
Is losing

It's from Heaven
Whatever it is
And I can hardly wait

It's here now
We're on our knees now
I'm laying hands on my sister now
I'm praying for her
Despite all insecurities
And now I've finished
And my face is an inch from the floor
There are tears streaming down my cheeks
There are sobs and gasps of shame and awe
Or am I laughing?

I know I'm overwhelmed
But the part of me that I call consciousness
The part that never shuts up
That can never be still
Can't find this thing called joy
It's like I've been evicted from my own soul
I'm not weak enough
Not yet
To fit into my own heart of hearts
When it's so brimming with holiness

Still I weep
And pray
And know that the whole world trembles

The Holy of Holies is in Harbor House

No comments:

Post a Comment