Friday, June 17, 2011

Press On*

Press on good soldier
Through the muck and mire
Despite fears and insurmountable barriers
Against ancient powers
Towards the prize
That is your inheritance

From the start
The tasks you have avoided
And the acts of servitude
I have dreaded
All came my way

Press on
In the face of exhaustion
And apathy

I want to take a break
I anticipate the next task
With sheer and utter terror
Yet I do it anyway
And discover fervor
And victory

Press on
Through misery and failure
Into stumbling and wounds

I also fall into defeat
There are a hundred people
With whom I failed to speak and pray
I let someone else take the lead
I falter

Yet I march on
I climb sheer cliffs
And navigate lightless labyrinths
I am beaten and bruised
But not balked

Press on
Past the place of the Fall

I am at odds against myself
With pride mounting
I bite back my tongue
So ready to boast
Or at least, sometimes I do
I flit back and forth each minute
Between humility and hubris

Press on
With strength and power
And Heaven's arsenal
Should you ask for it

I say a prayer
Nervously
With everyone else praying along
And He is eager to answer
I discover how meaningless
That word "practical" can be
I practice that art
Which I am still learning
And am shocked to find myself
Leading in it

Press on good soldier
Bearing with you winnings
From the week's battle

Press on
The war is still ongoing

No comments:

Post a Comment