Thursday, November 24, 2011

Sleeping and Waking

Dreaming in one hour
Waking in another
But which is which?

I find myself
In the midst of angels
The whole of Creation
Is all lit up with heavenly light
There is joy
Boldness
Love

Then I am in normalcy
The horizon is blocked from view
By the thousand little things
And all I am
Is fixed on the everyday
The routine
The minute troubles
Of the common struggle

I dwell in the towering city
The land of today and tomorrow
And in the electric light of hallways
I see the life of the spirit
The story of souls and scriptures and prayers
To be a fantasy
A flight from reality
Hours of denial and daydreams
Which it is not wise to make sacrifices for

I find myself in the mountains
The place of hope and terror and joy
Caught up in a rush of life
I look to the city
And shout
"Lies! Lies!"
That is only a veil
To be at any moment
Ripped aside
It has never been anything
But a medium
For the matters of eternity

I float at the surface
Between sleeping and waking
Looking to find
Just what is real
And what is false
In my mind I already know
But my heart feigns ignorance
Clinging to the things of comfort
I can only pray for the strength to let go
And wake to the world of the great I AM

No comments:

Post a Comment