Monday, August 15, 2011

Neither can I

To the people
Who say
That's great
For you
It's so awesome
But it's not for me
To all the people
Who say
I just can't do that

Neither can I

I can't carry that cross
I can't live that life
I can't surrender everything
I can't even begin
To want to do it

I can't make that jump
Or walk that road
It's too far
Too hard

I can't open the closet door
And look that monster in the eye
Much less
The one in the bathroom mirror

I can't face the light of day
Without a thousand little lies
Without those many other truths and ways
I can't do it

I can't break these chains
Or even admit their existence

Not out of my own Strength

But there is Someone else
Whose movements shakes the world
Whose words have authority
To rebuke every evil
Whose breath
Gave you birth
Whose death
Can give you it again

He can carry you
Across burning deserts
Over treacherous mountains
And through thorny wilderness

He can crush
Every single thing
That is pressing you down
That is keeping you from Him
All your chains
Are like paper in His hands

Your monsters
All assembled together
And multiplied by a million
Can do nothing before Him
But beg for mercy

And
The most wonderful
And terrible
Thing of all
Is that He
Can break
My cold
Wretched
Evil
Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment