Sunday, April 15, 2012

Betrothal

I am reminded
By the idiotic grins
And the moments of sheer joy
Reminded of how she was promised to You
Reminded of how I was promised to You
Before this all began

It costs me nothing
Some money
A few years of patience
An education I would have gotten anyway
And the whole time she is eager for me as I am for her

When did I ever rescue her?
Did I ever romance her with wisdom and power?
When evil arose in her, was I there to rebuke it and war against it?

But You...
Well that pursuit is something else
You have searched
The depths of your beloved's heart
And You called her name
Before she knew it
In all the days of her life
You have provided for her

You make the storm
Sing and pound out Your love song
And hundred little things fall into place
By the authority of Your affectionate will
You come into her hidden shelter
And there attend to her

When the days turn dark
When the monsters come out
And all her friends fail her
When she is at the mercy of the merciless
Then You appear
As the utter darkness closes in
Your light flashes out
Tearing through that fearsome wickedness

When she wallows in the miseries of sin
When she turns her back on that light that once saved her
You do not give up on her
You have gone into her infernal shelter
With a word You blasted it to bits
She set her eyes on Fafnir's accursed gold
And at once you reduced it all to dust
You cut away her sin
And tenderly returned her to Paradise

Who am I
To care for Your beloved?
Who am I
To be called Your beloved?

No comments:

Post a Comment