Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Divine Pursuit

He is coming
He who breathed life
The King of all kings
The Light of all the world

He rescues us
He romances us
He wars against us
He pursues us relentlessly

A thousand times
We discover our smallness
The fickleness of worldly foundations
When we are in the muck and mire
He pulls us out
When we are outnumbered
And sick and weary and hungry
He has turned away our enemies

When we were lost in the wilderness
And collapsed under a burden we could not bear
He chased away the wolves
And carried us home


The sun rises
Upon a lush green morning
Bejeweled with dew
The flowers open up
A delightful array
All of it
The canvas of the sky
The dynamic sculptures of the earth
And everything in between
Are not given only in the hour of need
They are gifts
Received on morning walks
In day-to-day business
He gives it all freely
Delightfully

Whether the beauty of Creation
Or the joy of His Spirit
On a random Sunday
His gifts are cheerfully given


I have gone out
To a temple of my own making
Dedicated to my own glory
And every detestable thing
I hear His approach
And I flee
Down whatever bloody alley presents itself

So He draws His sword
He calls on a legion of seraphim
He lays a thousand Bibles open
On the shelves of the mockers
He anoints an army of saints
He positions all His forces
And then He moves

No brick is left upon its brother
No idol stands before His glory
All that can be shaken is shaken
All that can be broke in broken
He beats me down
Relentlessly

And when I am on my knees
He lays the royal robe on my shoulders
And places the ring on my finger

He had pursued me
In His terrible
Wonderful
Love

He has rescued me
And romanced me
And warred against me

No comments:

Post a Comment